Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Labyrinth Tangle

I was so excited to see this week's challenge over at The Diva. The challenge is to use a labyrinth as the string.  I was excited am I have had this idea kicking around in the back of my mind but I haven't pulled it out.

 The challenge gave me just what I needed to pull it out. While Laura gave us instructions to draw our own, I found a layout online and traced it onto some grey paper.   I love the look of a labyrinth, it is so graphic. But at the same time, as the designs are so often in gardens, I didn't want to go graphic but wanted it to have a more natural feel to it.  I drew in brown ink for the basic out line and then used a micron to draw Betweed in the spaces.  I "walked" this labyrinth several times while making this piece.  First to draw it, then to draw Betweed, then to embellish the design and then finally to shade.

There are some great labyrinth paths on line and I think that I will have to check them out and see what else I can come up with.  Drawing my own would also be a great place to start and see what I can come up with.



Last week Ginny Stiles asked me to show her my dip pens that I use.  I was unable to figure out how to load a photo in the comments so I am posting a photo here.  The pens in the image are the three that I use most often.  The brown with the gold nib is one that I can change out the nibs on.  I use my pen for drawing and not calligraphy, so I keep the nib to one that makes a thinner line.  There are those that can make a thick line but I haven't used them much.  All I can say about working with a dip pen is practice.  It takes a light touch and dipping in the ink often to keep the line the same.  I am by no means an expert.  I have made many mistakes and am really just making it up as I go.  My favorite ink is Winsor and Newton drawing ink.  It mixes easy and has great color saturation.  I just have an initial set but there are tons of colors.  Anyway, I hope that seeing the pens help Ginny.

Have a great week everyone!  Thanks for taking a look and for your wonderful comments. 

10 comments:

  1. i totally like to look at you labyrinth. nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Betweed is a good choice, and I hadn't thought of it. :) I had considered using a Chartres labyrinth but decided the drawing space would just be too tiny, so I'm using a 7-circuit design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great labyrinth and I like the use of Betweed as a filler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully executed and the dimensionality is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you SO much for the tiny tutorial on dip pens.
    I bought one (a very cheap cheap one) years ago when I was taking a class from John Lovett. He loves to make lines with brown sienna inks in his watercolor paintings and then spritz them with water and let them bleed slightly. Very cool. But very different from what you do. I am thinking of getting a fillable pen. I think this might work better for me than a dip pen and be more portable. So I am researching that out now. Thanks again so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps …the pen I am thinking about is a Lamy Safari pen with a refill converter and Bulletproof noodlers black in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Great choice to use Betweed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I really enjoyed this one! And the idea of the dip pens.... Hmmm, something else to try! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your labyrinth and using Betweed is perfect for it. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love the look of your labyrinth!

    ReplyDelete